11 February 2012 – Assembly VIII

Since the last update I received a box in the post containing a variety of Teflon/PTFE braided pipe and AN fittings, also included was silicone vacuum pipe, exhaust wrap and Stainless Steel cable ties. I have only seen these pipes but never worked with it before, seeing this was my change, a few YouTube movies further and I was on my way, but the one thing they forgot to mention was that it take some time to work with this stuff without destroying your fingers in the process. During the week I also took the widened wheels and new rubber in for fitment, I must say I really like the look of the 205 rubber on the 8J wheels. I also took the tappet cover in for some Aluminium welding, added a AN10 socket for the breather and closed the old hole were the PCV valve used to be.

Friday arriving at my parents’ home, I immediately started sanding the tappet cover. After a few minutes of sanding I quickly realised that I will have to get the thing sand blasted to remove all old paint as it was impossible to reach everywhere with the sander and there is no way I will even attempt sanding this thing with the hand. During the course of the evening I tested my newest idea for a anti roll bar, this came in the form of a torsion bar with splines on both sides and also the brackets. It didn’t take long after a mock assembly to realise that this plan will work 100%, I must admit, not a lot of things came easy with this car, but the anti-roll bar may just be the easiest of them all. We made some Aluminium panels for the rear a week ago, I decided to cover them a coat of clear lacquer to keep the dirt away. The final work for the evening was the breather pipe from tappet cover to breather bottle and the bleeder pipe from the output on the head into the radiator expansion bottle. Both done with those shinny blue/red AN fittings.

Saturday morning started with a bang, fitted the cover plates that was sprayed the evening before. The idea for the weekend was fitting the windows and doors, well that is just what we started doing, first the rear window, not being experts at this sort of thing, but previous encounters taught us the basics. The bottom part of the window went easy until we got to the first corner; all off a sudden the nightmare struck, pirate window rubber is just not worth it, the next time I will import the genuine stuff, we struggled for almost 30mins with the second corner, the mould was completely wrong, well we got it in and proceeded upwards, once we had the two sides in, we realised that the glass was too high and was unable to move it downwards, a quick call to my uncle Anton Botha the owner off JA Kontreidienste (023 355 1850) for some advice, seeing that this sort of thing was a daily occurrence in his previous employment. He assured me that we should just hit it and it will move. We decided to leave the rear one for now and see if the front one will go easier, well the same thing, but at least the corners went easier as we cut the inner lip to look like the OEM rubber. But this only helped with the corners, but the window again was too high, I just had to get my uncle closer to help with this. To be continued……waiting on the uncle, 50km is far, considering the gravel roads.

While we waited for some much needed help, we started with the front fenders, due to the increase size of the wheel which will be used, the wheels were pulled forward to clear the rear and the fenders needed some serious TLC to clear the front. The fact that the road tyres is about 80mm higher than the racing slicks, does not help, well we started marking it out and the cutting was done with a jigsaw. Just before me uncle arrived we had the one 100% done, will finish the last cut on the remaining one on the next visit. I must admit, not a lot is left of the front part of the fender.

On arrival, my uncle didn’t waste a lot of time hanging around, he immediately got his hands dirty struggling with the window, the same thing happened with the front window, to high, but he had some good moves in getting it to sit lower, but just not enough, seeing that we didn’t have the correct equipment to sand the window down, we opted for the porta pack to press on the roof which did the trick. The rear window was no easy task, but at least we could leave the jack on the floor. Moral of the story, if you can’t get the original rubbers, import them, if you can’t import them, pay someone else to do it for you. We retired for the day to have a nice braai, seeing that I couldn’t sent the hero away with an empty stomach.

Later the evening when all departed, I added the final touches to the pipe coming out of the steering rack. The clutch position and brake light switch kept me busy for the rest of the evening, at least I can position the clutch switch now just as I would like.

Sunday morning was used to wire up the radiator fan and to get the lights installed. I made new retaining brackets the previous weekend and had them plated, this was mounted followed by the lights and seeing that I did not have the original springs for the head lights, this had to be made. At least the car is starting to look like something with just the windows and head lights.

The afternoon we started mounting an adjusting the rear doors, seeing that the previous owner had new sills installed on the car which was out, we had to make spacers for the left door, almost the exact problem was faced on the front right door. Fitting doors on a car with a full roll cage is no fun, as you have to wrap your body in the most awkward of positions. Afterwards we fitted the front bumper. I could not contain myself and just had to put the fenders on the car to get an overall picture.

More Pictures11 February 2012 – Assembly VIII

Return to Datsun 1200

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *